So we close on the house on Friday, thank God, what a financial relief, and one of the issues we disclosed was that there was a beehive in the side of the house. We noticed it last year during the pandemic but it was far enough away from the front door it wasn't hurting anyone so we ignored it. The buyer was trying to decide if he wanted to take care of it or if he wanted us to, and two weeks ago, he charged us with the removal and said he would let us give him money to handle the repairs.
Last Thursday while I was in Chicago our realtor met the bee guy. We really didn't want to kill the bees, just relocate them, and there's someone who loves bees so much he does this for free. That is the honeycomb he removed above. It took four hours - noon to four - and he left such a mess our saint of a realtor helped our tenant clean it for over an hour - big hole in the ceiling in the corner of C's room. So apparently the buyer went to the house two days ago and there are still hundreds of bees - he doused the hole with pesticide but Amy told me Caroline, her daughter who took C's room, has been sleeping in the downstairs playroom since Thursday it's so bad. She had to duct tape it up. The bees were still getting in the room somehow. Fifty the first day, she said, now down to eight or ten. Thank goodness they are moving from a farm they've had to deal with rat issues and bee issues she took it in stride but I was glad I sent a big order from Milk Bar a few weeks ago to thank her family for taking care of our house. The last six months would have been hell if we had to attend all of that daily.
So when you relocate a hive, I learned on the internet today, it's best to do it in the early morning or late evening because the workers are not yet sent out by the queen or back in the hive to sleep. So noon to four was not ideal. Not complaining, but it leaves lots of what they call straggler bees. They come back to try to find the hive and usually die within one to two weeks without the queen. GD. We saved as many as we could and they are going to die anyway so our plan was to seal the house with insect proof foam to keep them away. If it doesn't work I texted Heather we will bring in a pest company ASAP to fix the problem.
No frozens today yay I was dealing with that and worrying about Mom and her compound fracture to the wrist - she will have external hardware for 10 weeks I was dry heaving in empathy. Jack said all his teachers loved the treats. Cecelia is good. I'm hoping I don't puke on the lab inspector tomorrow based on how this week has been going GI wise. Happy Tuesday, much love, Elizabeth