Monday, January 2, 2017

Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey



Ack lots of music tonight. Music soothes the soul.

On the way back from a road trip to Florida last night we stopped in Tupelo, MS. Home of the largest automobile expo this side of the Mississippi (North? South? Not sure. Not so good with direction). Also some big Elvis museum. And of course Tupelo honey. No time for that, although in our house we are addicted to honey - we put it on everything from eggs to sausage to veggies and fruit. My fault, my long time vice. We drove in pouring rain all day. Time to chill in the hotel, not sightsee and shop for honey.

Big time milestone is to be able to put the kids in an adjoining room. I taught them how to order room service last night. They were so delighted. Chicken parmesan, chicken Ceasar salad, and special dessert brownie sundae.

The next morning at breakfast we had omelettes and english muffin sausage and egg sandwiches. On a rare note, the kids were quizzing me about my life.

I have published many articles on DNA ovarian cancer research. In lofty magazines. My mentor was up for the Nobel Prize at that time. Jack googled, and found one on serine proteases. I was working for a Ph.D candidate Jack White lookalike named Joey - he was the first author. He taught me a lot, in between my pre-md classes at UALR and my psych counselor gig at nights and on weekends.

I hated writing science articles - tech writing. After doing lots of creative writing, it was like writing inside of a box. The intro, the stats, the tables, the conclusion. I did it in pre-med, in med school, and in residency. And I got proficient, but it wasn't fun. I found it very confining.

What was fun was the DNA research. Working at the bench, extracting DNA, designing primers to hunt for novel proteins and genes that might become potential targets for cancer therapy. It took hours, but I felt like I was a Queen of molecular warfare. Jack was delighted with the stories. C seemed impressed. The technology has changed now, it is much more advanced, but I still get to partake in being a lab manager of scientific machines that seek out genes for lung cancer, colon cancer, head and neck cancer - genes that predict prognosis and chemotherapy response. It's a little remote from the mic, but it's mainstream in today's therapy.

I think honey is therapy too - therapy for the immune system. If we build up our immune system from local antigens through honey, we can fight precancerous cells in our own body. I'm glad my kids have garnered a taste for daily honey. Our progeny are our future.






No comments: