Saturday, July 5, 2014

He Blinded Me With Science

Jack turned 9 last month. His dream was to be the scientist at his birthday party.

Embarrassingly, I tried to set up a home visit from a scientist - any scientist - who would take care of it. The experiments, the ingredients, anything to make my life easier. Luckily, my efforts went to no avail.

A week before the birthday party we scrambled. A science teacher at his school told me about Steve Spangler science. I highly recommend the website. We searched for a few experiments that required little more than household items to perform. Jack and Cecelia planned the performance. My boyfriend and I spent an entire day accruing the materials. When they day came, there was a little anxiety as we had not really had time to practice. We made homemade slime to give out as party favors. We did a mini home version of elephant's toothpaste. There was a dry ice segment. It was a small crowd - maybe 15 or 20 at the most. It was comical and impressive and extemporaneous and perfect.


Jack doing colored tornado experiment. Notice the LED balloons in the background on the shelves. His Taekwondo  jacket doubled as a science lab coat.


Cecelia was the dry ice queen


Jack and Cecelia performing the soap bubble dry ice segment


Happy 9th birthday Jack. You rock!


No comments: