Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Exclusive Offer

I've been covering at the smaller hospital outside of Little Rock this week. Nice drive and change of pace, but new challenges.

Different EMR. Wider range of responsibilities. I always appreciate my secretary/transcriptionists in LR when I come here, because I field a lot more phone calls that they shield me from at the big hospital. I got really frustrated yesterday when I got a third phone call before 1 pm from Dr. Hothead's nurse. I do not know how to look up the status of molecular studies ordered here. We are short staffed. You said at 8 to get it by the end of the day is 1 really your end of the day because I'm just getting started (I didn't say that, but she was pushy and I pushed back). Can I please just finish this radical prostatectomy I started an hour ago before I problem solve for you (I didn't say this either. No matter. Apparently no I cannot finish my case I have to respond to you immediately. That's ok. I'm adaptable).

So I answered the phone at 9 am today with my guard up.

Recorded male phone voice: "Congratulations! You have just won $3,000 in grocery coupons. And this is your lucky day; it comes with a free medical alert system. (Repeat, repeat). If you want to find out more about this incredible offer, press 1. If you want to be removed from our exclusive phone list, press 2."

I usually hang up on these things, but this was a new one for me, and my lack of responsibility to do something for someone was liberating. I pressed 2. I laughed and stared out the window then went back to triaging my GI biopsies.



2 comments:

Liana said...

You didn't want the free groceries?

Gizabeth Shyder said...

Do you really think they are free? Nothing is free, right? An opening to buy something surely.