Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Do Not Resuscitate


I was looking at a fluid of a 93 year old man. Checking out his H&P in medical records to see if there was anything important I might need to know. I came across this sentence at the end of the Plan.

"He indicated that he wants to be a Do Not Hesitate status. We will respect his wishes."

It was obvious from the rest of the note that the doctor meant Do Not Resuscitate. What an ultimate autocorrect - I thought.

If I ever end up on a gurney in the ED with no capability to communicate I am saying it here and now so everyone knows:

My status is Do Not Hesitate.

At least until I get my kids a little farther along in life. Unless it's a hopeless case, of course. I don't want to be a in a gorked out state for an extended period of time no thank you.


No comments: