Friday, July 18, 2014

Boston Bound

I'm taking a few days off with my kids to head Northeast to visit Uncle Effie and Aunt Mike. Sometimes I accidentally say this, to my kids amusement.

I'll leave you with this.



I encounter this on my walk from the doctor's parking deck to the super high security wave a magic card to open the heavy back entrance lab door into work each day. What is this even called? I have no idea. An electronic arm. A gateway. Once, when I was really angry, I imagined I might rip it from its anchor and whack something (a bowling ball? a giant boulder? the person I am pissed at?) all the way to another planet.

Sometimes, when I am leaving work, I am texting and forget it is there and almost bump into it. Often it is up, and I don't have to worry about that. Occasionally, I will be walking along oblivious, see it coming down in my peripheral vision and scatter frantically out of the way. Would it really hit me or does that anchor have the sensitivity to avoid objects? And if it does how big does the object have to be? Am I big enough?

Once I had a pretty near miss that left my heart pounding. I imagined myself sprawled out on the asphalt. Now that would be dumb way to die. And an embarrassing way to be discovered dead.


I love my job, so I like walking into work. But they way out to the parking deck, especially on a Friday before a week of vacation, is always a little bit brighter.

Enjoy your week. I know I will.

2 comments:

OMDG said...

Don't text and drive! Even in the parking lot!

(And yes, there are few better feelings than exiting through that gate after a really long day.)

Gizabeth Shyder said...

This is just the walk to the car! I read somewhere they had to install pads around street lamps outside of bars in London because people were getting knocked out while texting late at night. When I leave work I'm sober.