Friday, June 20, 2014

Whiz Kid

I was reading a gross description of a gallbladder today in Conway. SH is a very experienced physician's assistant and describes organs beautifully. I got to the part about the bile description - pink-red viscid fluid. Viscid. I hadn't heard that descriptor in a while. It sent me into my own world.

Whiz kids whisk viscid mixes into a biscuit.

A limerick.

She gets to risk it all on a piss kit. Is it his kid? We can fix it. A tisket, a tasket, a green and yellow basket. This stuff is viscid. This oven doesn't want a biscuit. Let's whisk it.

Another limerick! Or maybe a rap? That's one for anyone out there who have been in that viscid predicament. I'm glad I never had to make that decision. But if I was in that situation - who knows - life presents you with opportunities to test all your internal values. If it didn't work for me at the time, I would have chosen it in an instant.



Happy Friday.








4 comments:

J said...

You have physician assistants grossing your specimens? Or is she a pathologists' assistant? We may both call ourselves PAs for short, but these are completely separate professions.

Gizabeth Shyder said...

You are right, J - pathologist's assistants. I was using the term too loosely. Guess my rhyming got me all elastic. All of our path assistants were trained on the job, but if I am not incorrect I have heard that you can go to school to be a PA (physician's assistant) in pathology? Up North maybe? I heard about it during residency I'd have to google to see if I'm right.

Our path assistants have a great gig. But they are extremely busy. I was in the gross room last night after finishing my LR cases handing out Kit Kats and cheerleading. I appreciate them so much - they are our eyes.

J said...

The training actually isn't association with physician assistant programs at all. There are 8 or 9 Pathologists assistant programs in North America, the closest to you would maybe be Indiana or Duke. And Certification is through ASCP (I don't know who certifies physicians assistants, but it is something completely different). So few people, even in medicine, know about our profession, but its a pretty decent career path.

Gizabeth Shyder said...

Thanks for the clarification J!

Our path assistants are very well compensated. You are right, it is a little known but great way to go in medicine if it strikes your interest.

I knew an ex med student in training who was working in pathology and trying to get his degree as a path assistant. I heard he didn't make it, but it's been awhile so I don't know what became of him.