Monday, June 9, 2014

Recipe Night!





Caption: Very cool plant I saw on hike in Colorado that is in no way related to this post except that it grows out of the ground and so do the raw ingredients for salad. If anyone knows what it is I'd be delighted to find out.

This is the place to post about things I love.

I've been perfecting this salad for a few months and I think I've finally got it right.

The best thing is you can get all the ingredients at your local big box grocery. If you have time to procure your weekly meals from farmer's markets and Fresh Market and Whole Foods I applaud you, and your version will probably taste better and be more healthy and less processed than mine.

My Favorite Salad

- Half a bag of Asian style chopped salad from the packaged produce section (save the other half for later in the week when you are craving it again)
- A handful of almonds (this can be replaced with any protein of your choice) - I like Blue Diamond because it is the perfect combo of roasted and salted
- Ginger dressing - splurge on the refrigerated kind in the produce section - I like the brand Naturally Fresh - it makes a big difference trust me
- A handful of Wasabi peas - if I am out of these I just add a dash of Sriracha (Rooster) Sauce. I like a big dash.
- A large handful of Craisins (cherry or plain works best for me)*
- Liberal amount of crumbled blue cheese

Mix it all together and enjoy. If you must have more carbs (I often must) my fave addition is those yummy crispy things you get at chinese restaurants to eat with your egg drop or hot and sour or wonton soup.

I'm jonesing to get back to my book. I read two on vacation last week and started a third.

Highly recommend:

The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen - Merci for the rec if you are reading! You are right all the blood and guts and medical history around autopsy was right up my alley.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan - Sorry for laughing so hard when everyone was trying to sleep on the 2.5 hour drive to and from the rafting site on the Colorado River.

The Devil in Silver by Victor LaValle - the one I am rushing to get to right now.

Happy Monday

*I have a brother that is a food scientist at Ocean Spray. I just saw a picture of him with his sensory scientist wife who works for Baskin Robbins and Dunkin Donuts on Facebook. They are in Japan, who knew? Kids and I can't wait to get to Boston this summer to see you guys! Buy Ocean Spray products and put them in your favorite everything. No bias here, obviously.



2 comments:

Liana said...

Looks like a thistle.

Your salad sounds delicious. My favourite salad lately is kale torn up with avocado, slivered almonds and cubed fried tofu. I put olive oil and lemon juice mixed with a bit of honey and mustard on top.

Gizabeth Shyder said...

Oh thank you for the id and the yummy salad idea. I'm looking for a combo for kale that calms down the flavor a little bit. That sounds like it might work. I love all those things. I can't wait to try it.

I'm sitting here wondering why we aren't e-mail friends. E-mail me whenever at gizabethshyder@gmail.com if you like(: