Tuesday, June 24, 2014

On the Origin of Feces


Caption: Pic of horse feces I took at dude ranch in 2013 to send to my megalomaniac partner. Which one, do you ask? He knows.

I was showing Dr. Woods a stomach polyp. It was benign, but looked a little funny.

Me: I'm guessing hyperplastic polyp with a little trauma?

Dr. Woods: Yeah it's weird. I guess it got tossed around a bit in the fecal stream.

Me(!!!): The fecal stream? I would hope it was a food stream. If there was a fecal stream in the stomach something is definitely wrong with the plumbing.

Dr. Woods: Hey that would be a funny debate. Instead of "When does life begin" we could discuss "When does feces begin." He animatedly mimed placing a piece of food in his mouth. "Here? Or in the rectum?" He pointed to his backside.

Me, laughing, walking out of the room: Definitely not in the stomach. Maybe when the food is dumped through the pyloric sphincter into the duodenum. For sure it's feces in the colon.

2 comments:

Liana said...

I would use "when does the colour change to brown" as my measuring stick.

Gizabeth Shyder said...

What if you are colorblind?