Friday, May 30, 2014

How to Piss Off a Pathologist

My phone rings.

"Dr. Clingy is on line 2." Ugh. Sigh.

"Yes? How can I help you?"

"I'm going out of town tomorrow for the week and have scheduled a patient at one, even though she just had her biopsy today. Her history is (wrong history)."

I jot down notes and a name.

"Could you please call me with the results?"

1:20 p.m. the next day: "Dr. Clingy is on line 2." Ugh. Sigh.

"Do have the results? The patient is in my office."

"I've run across no one today that fits that history."

"I'll tell her I'll call her with the results later this afternoon. Call me when you get them."

I frantically search through stacks and trays and piles of cases triaged and yet to be evaluated. I find the name. I looked at it first thing this morning, and ordered a battery of stains. Ugh. Sigh. I call a transcriptionist.

"Can you get Dr. Clingy on the phone for me?"

"Dr. Clingy is on line 2."

"I found your patient, but I didn't recognize her because it was a different history. It's malignant. The stains will be out later."

"Oh thank you no worries it was a miscommunication. That's enough for now. I'll tell her and we can get things started."

"I'll just release the report when I'm done with it. If you have any questions you can call me."

2 comments:

OMDG said...

Don't you hate it when the other person f-s up and then blames you for it? Drives me crazy.

Gizabeth Shyder said...

It really messes with my head sometimes, because I always assume I'm wrong first.

I can't believe there are so many of these people out there.