Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Brain Candy

If you've been reading my blog for some time, you might remember when I posted one of Fizzy's first cartoons, on her blog The Cartoon Guide to Becoming a Doctor.

I was amazed by that cartoon. It spoke to me about my experience as a resident/mom in such a good way. She made light of the angst and agony that I had recently been through, and made me laugh about it. I was already hooked to her writing on MiM, but that cartoon drew me in as an avid follower to this day.

She's funny. She's droll. But most of all, she's unrelenting. I have periods in my blogging where I lag and shut down. She never stops. She's like the Energizer bunny of blogging, and her constant wit and presence amaze me. Not just me - she has built up an enormous following of readers that also recognize her talent. I like to secretly pat myself on the back that I was one of her first readers. It doesn't surprise me in the least that she has come this far.

I bought her first book - A Cartoon Guide to Becoming a Doctor. And I had the privilege to beta read her first novel - The Devil Wears Scrubs. Do you read brain candy? I do. I don't watch brain candy on TV, but I read it religiously during stressful times in my life. Chic lit. It takes the edge off my job and my stresses and my life. The Devil Wears Scrubs is the best kind of chic lit. It draws you back into that horribly abusive space in time of training when you have no control and you are at the mercy of warped personalities. It allows you as a reader, like the viewer of her cartoons, to make lemonade out of lemons. Her razor sharp wit and her sarcasm brings a new element to the genre. She's a pioneer.

I've been ramping up lately on the blogging. I've been e-mailing Fizzy for support and she offered to let me guest post on her blog. Check it out: Man vs. Cow.

I enjoyed trying to sum up an experience in a few (for me - I'm like a leaky faucet - no, a gushing fire hydrant) words. I think I might try more of it here. Stay tuned. While you're waiting, check out Fizzy. Back read. It's totally worth it.















No comments: