Monday, May 26, 2014

Atherosclerosis with Gangrenous Necrosis

This is the typical sign out for a toe or leg that is removed. There are many different medical etiologies for BKA's (below the knee amputation) but the end stage is usually severe nerve or vascular damage that leads to ulceration, osteomyelitis, and eventual necessity for removal.

Doesn't that sign out roll off of your tongue in the coolest way? It's like a chant or song in your head.

Once I was looking at a BKA. Checking the surgical margins to make sure they were clear of inflammation. Looking at the vessels to assess for degree of atherosclerosis. Viewing the skin ulceration and the sea of pus - so much prettier under the scope than in real life. I bumped into a skin lesion and was confused. Read the gross description - the PA saw a brown lesion on the skin that was thick and warty and submitted it for analysis. The scope revealed that it was a common brown skin lesion that occurs in older adults.

So my sign out was: (Drum Roll)

Left leg, below the knee amputation: Atherosclerosis with Gangrenous Necrosis and Seborrheic Keratosis.

Bonus!


6 comments:

OMDG said...

nerd ;-)

Gizabeth Shyder said...

I call you a Rock Star, you call me a nerd. I'm ok with that:). Nerds are super cool. But not as cool as Rock Stars.

OMDG said...

I meant it as a compliment.

Gizabeth Shyder said...

Of course you did! Sorry I was playing with you. I should have done more smiley faces - I try to limit myself to just one. I was so excited to get a comment - I don't get many around here:)

Gizabeth Shyder said...

I was trying to compliment you back!

OMDG said...

:-)