Friday, May 3, 2013

Eggs

I love eggs.  Call me Elizabegg.  It's apropos.

I used to do hard-boiled eggs on toast.  I did that for years.  Kids like scrambled eggs better.  So now we do scrambled eggs on cheese toast in the morning.  Cheese is variable - sliced smoked Gouda is wonderful on the weekends but really sliced sharp cheddar will do in a pinch.  Add a bit of salt, Arkansas honey, and Louisiana Hot Sauce or diced red pepper and you are done.

I've never really liked fried eggs, until I read Catherine Newman's recipe for vinegar eggs.  Google it - you won't be disappointed.  It's amazingly wonderful in its simplicity.  Cook toast, make fried eggs (I'm becoming an expert, despite having never liked fried eggs before this recipe), deposit eggs on toast, and make sauce with shake of salt, grind of pepper, tablespoon of butter, and tablespoon or two of vinegar.  Sherry vinegar imparts a wonderful smoky taste.  But good luck finding it!  I finally found it at a grocery store in Crested Butte, CO.  Before that, I used a tablespoon of red wine vinegar and a tablespoon of basalmic.  A little sweeter, but still oh so good.  When the butter and vinegar hit the hot pan and mix to a tangy, frothy goodness pour over your eggs and enjoy.  Five minutes to heaven.  Eggscellent.

Enjoy.

No comments: