Thursday, January 6, 2011

Death by Chocolate

I discovered this song on an album that my partner Rex gave me for Christmas. The cover, with his jazz trio in the background, is amazing. Kasie Lunsford is the cover artist, and you can find it over at his studio Infrared Records.

Unfortunately, I can only link to a store where you can buy it. It is worth the purchase. They also cover John Lennon and Paul McCartney, Natalie Merchant, and Pat Benetar. Her voice plays so many tricks it is impossible to follow. I found the original artist on youtube.


It's pretty cool how a song can make you remember when you felt. Tears on the nursery floor. Panic attacks in the middle of the night. Granted, it was a long time ago, but still. Good to be reminded. Maybe someday it will come back, only not quite so painfully. If I could sing to that old person, it might go something like the above. Music is truly the best gift on the planet.

7 comments:

rlbates said...

Have you ever had "Death by Chocolate" cookies? Mmmmmm Good

http://www.food.com/recipe/death-by-chocolate-cookies-10439

Gizabeth Shyder said...

I haven't. I'll have to check them out after I finish the salted caramel dark chocolate bar my other partner sent. Yummy! Maybe I will prove that death by chocolate is not a myth.

Razormark said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful review of Kasies' song, Death By Chocolate. Kasie is a mother of 3 boys and works for UAMS. She is truly a great story and someone for ALL of Arkansas to get behind. The cd is full of great music (Rex Bell and his Trio) and Kasie's great vocals. Definitely one to check out.

Gizabeth Shyder said...

I am currently addicted to her cover of the old blues song Nobody's Fault. My kids are still enamored with Death by Chocolate. My seven year old was doing a show tunes rendition with me tonight before bed.

Rex told me today they are talking about doing an all blues CD next - I can't wait to buy it!

The Mother said...

Hard to remember with teens. Strange how far we've come.

Razormark said...

I did want to invite you to Kasies' Cd release at the Afterthought on February 18th. It starts around 7pm. If you wanted to check out Kasies' facebook page, it's ...Kasie Fan Page. So glad you guys are enjoying her music, she was thrilled to hear about yout kids enjoying it. That makes it all worthwhile.

Gizabeth Shyder said...

Kids love it! I love hearing Cecelia try to mimic Kasie's voice - it is so cute watching her trying to covertly steal breaths in the rear view mirror.

I will definitely put that on my calendar and try to make it. Thanks for the invite!