Thursday, October 7, 2010

Mommy Magic

I was settling Jack down for bedtime tonight, and he was distraught. Both kids got into my memorabilia boxes in the move. I gifted Sicily some old high school jewelry, and Jack got a bear claw ring that he has become attached to.

"I can't find the ring, mom. I had it last night, and I looked all over for it this morning, but it's lost."

He wandered over to his desk to sip on a glass of ice water, and I searched under the bed. Bingo. It was by the post.

"Come here, Jack. I have a surprise for you."

"What?"

"Close your eyes and hold out your hand."

He obliged, and I slipped the turquoise bear claw ring on his finger.

When he opened his eyes, he smiled so wide I thought his face would crack wide open.

"How did you find it?"

"Mommy magic."

"Really, you are really magical?"

"Yes, Jack."

"Can you make me fly?"

I cringed internally. "Well, mommy magic only works once a day."

He looked at me seriously, his smile fading to curiosity.

"You have to charge it? Overnight?"

I couldn't help laughing. "Yes. Mommy magic needs to be charged. I'll try to make you fly tomorrow."

I hope I can find the right adaptor.

5 comments:

The Mother said...

Mommy magic works whenever we really need it. Or when we believe in it, like Tinkerbell.

My kids are way, way past that phase where they believed. Now they just know that mommy has their back with whatever earthly pull she can muster--and trust me, when it comes to my kids? It's considerable.

Gizabeth Shyder said...

Mustering earthly pull. I like that even more than mommy magic. A nice, realistic ring.

Although I really wish I could make Jack fly. It has been his every birthday, sneeze, and eyelash wish for over a year now. Maybe I should just concentrate on teaching him how to ride a bike - our earthly equivalent.

Kyla said...

I love this. I do a similar thing with KayTar and she just KNOWS it is going to work when she closes her eyes, so she starts hopping and clapping in expectation.

Domestically Challenged said...

I have mad magic skilz! I can make things and people disappear and reappear in other rooms =o).

Gizabeth Shyder said...

Can you teach me that?