Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Internet Gods Have Spoken

They gave me wireless on my home laptop for a few months, inexplicably, after I bird dogged the problem for months to no avail. Monday night they decided that I have no business having a night time Internet social life because I need to be packing. Since I move in a week (yikes!) it makes no sense to try to troubleshoot again. I wasted enough time in the spring trying to control the uncontrollable.

The call gods, while not benevolent, weren't brutal either. I was bestowed: 4 bone marrows, 5 lymph nodes, 1 spleen, 1 apheresis, a smattering of assorted body fluids, and a peripheral blood smear. I'm about to get out of here for more fun packing. I'll need to come in tomorrow for another apheresis procedure and to look at some immunos, but it certainly won't be another 8 hour day.

Highlights of call Sat.:

I hadn't had a case of lymphogranuloma venereum in a while, so I google imaged it. I was looking for histology, not gross pics. Ewww.

Discussing with the L&D nurse whether or not we could get viable cytogenetics from a 2 week IUFD.

Showering the apheresis nurses with chocolate (my two faves who went to Afterthought with me in the spring were working today).

Getting this valuable piece of information on a bone marrow requisition form: Previous bone marrow biopsies. Note to clinician from small town where I have absolutely no access to previous path or clinic/hospital records - this is not very helpful. Especially when I see normal marrow elements. Are you looking for minimal residual lymphoma? A low grade MDS? These cells will be dead on Monday when I can call and get clinical - so I am forced to initiate flow and molecular work-up (that I can cancel or remove charges on if necessary) because I have no idea where to go. And if the patient has had previous bone marrow biopsies, that implies a history of an abnormal process in the marrow. You've got to give me a little more to go on. Even cryptic abbreviations would be preferable to previous bone marrow biopsies. Uh oh. I've been reading too much Dr. Grumpy.

On to the moving gods. Weather looks good for next Sat. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

We won't talk about the divorce gods. Ten more days, I guess. Strange to start negotiations two weeks out, when we started this whole process six months ago. Everyone tells me how fast mine is going. Goes to show you everything is relative.




7 comments:

Kyla said...

Maybe the "previous bone marrow biopsies" can be the inspiration for one of those Xtranormal videos.

Good luck with the move!

Gizabeth Shyder said...

Great idea Kyla! I should start saving up the wacky histories designed to throw us off. Maybe video when life gets settled (Ha!). Thanks.

Domestically Challenged said...

I hate moving! Are you excited about the new place?

Sounds like a busy weekend.

The Mother said...

The call gods were nice to you. Hoping the moving gods are equally benevolent.

Gizabeth Shyder said...

DC- I am ecstatic about the new place. Kids love it- lots of hiding places and audio wired through the house. We danced like crazy in my empty bedroom when I showed it to them.

Mother- Me too. Don't forget divorce gods.

MomTFH said...

Ugh, moving. But yippee, moving on! Congrats on moving on x 2 this month!

Gizabeth Shyder said...

Thanks! It's getting a little crazy right now. Save the congrats for my status post move/divorce.