Friday, March 12, 2010

Insomnia

Here is a tiny part of where the truth hurts, since I am so opposed to sharing to the masses.

I've been having a lot of this, lately.

My favorite episode: In the hotel in Atlanta last weekend. I woke up at 2:45, much like right now (recurring theme). I worried and dreaded over spinning and spinning and thinking bad and good thoughts until dawn, like I had the night before, until my amazingly cute nephews finally rescued me with hugs and kisses and snuggles and iphone games when the light peeked through the windows. Then I looked at my book - I had 200 pages left. And thought about the fact that I was in a posh hotel. Had half a bottle of wine left from the night before. Read for three hours, and took a power nap from 6:00 to 8:00. Woke up, showered, apologized to my sister for being awake half the night and disturbing her sleep away from home. Told her she got a nice, finished good book out of the deal. Got us both coffee (she takes de-caff) and enjoyed an amazing goat cheese and tomato compote frittata for breakfast.

Life ain't all candy and roses. You've got to make the best of what you've got. I'll keep trying to do this for as long as I can.

2 comments:

medmusings said...

I am a new reader to your blog after having recently discovered Mothers in Medicine. I feel like an idiot commenting for the first time on such a personal post, but I hope you find the strength and support you need at this time, or at least a few good books to keep you company during those hard nights. Your writing is beautiful and I can absolutely relate to so many of your posts.

Gizabeth Shyder said...

Never feel silly for commenting! I love comments. Wouldn't share with the world if I didn't want them.

Reading this comment after I managed to squeeze in an hour of fitful rest gave me the energy to get in the shower and get moving. Thanks a ton for your support. Now it's time to get the kids moving. Sigh. Smile.