Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Good and The Bad

I've had an amazing, happy day. Carpooled the kids to school in my jammies and slippers, and took a long, slow run and shower. Didn't emerge from my house/cave until almost noon. Drove around running errands with the windows down, singing my anthem "Defying Gravity," from Wicked, as loud as I could. I even annoyed Sicily, when I picked her up after piano to go to swim practice. "Mom, I'm sure you had plenty of time to listen to that today. You weren't working. You don't need to sing it anymore, I'm getting sick of it. Chipmunks, please."

I am so excited - I went to a work meeting at 4:00 that I learned about yesterday when I went in to clean up a nasty, hanging on liver case. We haven't had a section meeting in a while, and there were some hot topics, so I didn't want to miss it. Some of them were cryptic. Like this one -- "Tumor Board, Dr. Palmer."

When we got to that subject, Dr. Palmer said, "The radiation oncologist called and wants to start a new tumor board. Once a month. It will be at 7:00 a.m., like breast conference. She wants a pathologist to participate."

Inside I was screaming "Me! Me! Me!" and actually raised my hand a little, like a schoolgirl. I thought I might get Breast Conference after one of the other Dr.'s retired, but it was clear that it already went to my beautiful partner Michelle, when I got there. I've subbed a couple of times, but once a year is not much. And now that my scope is paid off, I've been looking for a good excuse to splurge with my CME and buy a camera. There is some great new technology out there, far more advanced than the Spot I used in residency. Cameras that bypass computer software and take the image directly from the scope to the monitor, so you don't have to play and juggle with the infuriating software to get good lighting for images. Now I can research it.

I tried to be calm, and waited for another taker. I thought about carpool and the kids, but I already have that great teacher who takes $$ to let me drop the kids off early. They love getting up at the crack of dawn and hanging out with her - it's like a treat for them. At the rate I am currently going to Conway (once a month) - another early morning is just no big deal. I love interacting with clinicians. I miss all the teaching conferences and lectures I did in residency/fellowship. After a healthy pause (well, really about 30 seconds) I volunteered verbally.

"Great, thanks Giz! Just call her when you get back on Monday. I'm sure she would love to talk about it and get things set up."

Hee hee. They acted like I had done them a favor. Suckers.

The frustrating thing is that I have been so busy this week I haven't had time to figure out why the hell I can't get internet on my laptop at home. YouTube video weekend mornings with John have gone out the window this month - I can't view any media in the house, period. Inferior, viral-ridden PC. I'm not knocking them all, but this one is toast. I tried in vain to hook up my laptop to the linksys modem with an ethernet cable, but still no dice. My Apple guy, who is too busy with school and work and wedding plans to help out and give lessons for the past few months now, even Facebook chatted with me a couple of weeks ago and told me to come in, after I sent him a desperate Facebook message asking for help. I already burned half a day on an earlier weekend at Best Buy and the Apple store trying to fix my cryptic problem. I remembered tonight that he offered help, and forgot he is off tomorrow. Oh well.

I have time. Time is good. There is time for everything.


No comments: