Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Christmas Miracle

Well, my daughter's art is pretty miraculous. She called this one "Potato Penguins." I asked her a couple of months ago, "Why potatoes?" "Potato stamps, mom. I used potato stamps to make them. It was easy." I had never heard of those, but loved her penguins so much I vowed to save them for the Christmas card. Then I used kid pics instead, so here are the penguins in a Christmas Eve Eve post.

But that's not the miracle I'm talking about. It deserves a long, wonderful post, one that I will write eventually, when I am not wrapping presents and setting the table for Christmas Eve dinner, and readying myself for a final day of work before Christmas vacation. For now, a few words will have to suffice.

Welcome, welcome to the newest addition to the Gasper family, Lorelei Ruth. She is a beautiful 4lb. 5oz. bundle of peacefulness and serenity that I had the privilege of meeting this morning in the NICU. I cannot imagine what it is like to find out at noon you will be a parent, meet your daughter, sign the papers, and learn you will probably take her home on Christmas Day. After a long wait, what a tremendous amount of body-rocking and mind-blowing emotion to experience during the holidays. I got to watch her dad and mom take turns holding her and telling her amazing story - the beginning of their journey. I could hardly work today because I kept thinking about them and getting choked up.

She is ravishing. She looks a lot like her adoptive mom, Courtney. Luckily, she doesn't favor her adoptive dad (hee hee just kidding Brent) but I hope like hell she adopts his enormous compassion, humor, and intelligence. What lucky parents. What a lucky little girl. I can't wait to see her again tomorrow.

By the way, guys, I am dropping off a very un-festive collection of Kroger sacks filled with essentials on your front porch on the way to work tomorrow. Congratulations, you three!

2 comments:

rlbates said...

Love the penguins!

Gizabeth Shyder said...

Thanks, Ramona! Merry Christmas to you and your family.