Saturday, November 28, 2009

All the Fame of Lofty Deeds

Next weekend, Mike and I are headed to Chicago for a three day trip. We haven't been on a plane trip without kids in over four years, and Mike's been itching to get away. I told him to plan it all, then quickly took over. I'm such a control freak.

I chose Chicago - he's never been but I have lots of family there and have been there frequently. I haven't been to Chicago around the holidays since I was nine, when my grandma Loretta and grandpa Chuck took my sister, my cousin Eleanor and I by train to see my Chicago cousins. I remember being awed by the fold out beds and fold out toilets. We stopped on the way to visit Lincoln's home, and arrived to find the city fully decked out in holiday splendor. I was amazed. I remember it was snowing, and I was thinking that I never knew so many holiday decorations existed on the planet.

Mike asked me, "What do you want to do there?" I replied, "Christmas shop. And see a play."

"What play?"

"Facebook your cousin Zack. The one that just put on Zombies Attack Chicago. That has ended, but I'm sure that he would have a cool recommendation."

I wanted it to be a surprise. But I got curious. I asked Mike, "What did Zack say?"

"I got tickets to something he said would be good. Something about lofty deeds, I can't remember the name."

I was busy at work when he texted me this information, but this past weekend, I googled it. I was impressed.

David Lynch (one of my all time favorite directors) meets Howdy Doody? Sounds fascinating. I was curious about Jon Langford, and decided to buy his album of the same name so I could be familiar with the music before next weekend. That picture up there is the album cover. Again, wow. Here is the only song on the album that has a YouTube clip.



I've been listening to the album all weekend.

My brother recommended a great restaurant, Moto, with an incredible reputation. I think the chef is a food scientist, like my brother - interested in texture and science as much as taste and presentation. We signed up for the twenty course meal one night. The courses have wonderful names like, "Ants on a Log," "Milk Chocolate Forms," "Rainbow Sprinkles,"Reuben Lasagna," and "Pineapple Jerk."

I hope I can get my Christmas shopping done. I'm well on my way, and happy to say for the first time in many years that it is being carried out leisurely in stores, instead of at midnight on the Internet.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Y'all have a great time

LRHillcrester said...

Check out Second City. Freaking hilarious.

Gizabeth Shyder said...

I'll look into it and see if we have time. Thanks!