Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Planets are Aligned

My best friend from medical school sent me this e-mail last night. She doesn't e-mail more than once every month or so, but when she does she gives me a lot to think about.



I was watching the show criminal minds tonight and it ended with this quote that I immediately googled.

G. K. Chesterton - Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.

And then I found this complimentary quote:


C.S. Lewis on why he preferred fairy tales to “realism”:

“By confining your child to blameless stories of child life in which nothing at all alarming ever happened, you would fail to banish the terrors, and would succeed in banishing all that can ennoble them or make them endurable. For in the fairy tales, side by side with the terrible figures, we find the immemorial comforters and protectors, the radiant ones; and the terrible figures are not merely terrible, but sublime. It would be nice if no little boy in bed, hearing or thinking he hears, a sound, were ever at all frightened. But if he is going to be frightened, I think it better that he should think of giants and dragons than merely of burglars. And I think St. George, or any bright champion in armour, is a better comfort than the idea of police.”
– “On Three Ways of Writing for Children”

If I had a blog I would be blogging about this quote right now. Consider yourself my one blog reader for tonight. :)

Alyssa

Strangely, my blog name was inspired by a quote I like by G.K. Chesterson. I'm going to have to find out more about this guy.

"He may be mad, but there is method in his madness. There nearly always is method in madness. It's what drives men mad, being methodical."

I was at Barnes & Noble the night before she sent me this e-mail loading up on new books for Sicily and bought one by C.S. Lewis.

Speaking of planet alignment, they must be really working in my favor right now. All week long, my kids have been fighting over cooking our eggs for breakfast! One morning John, one Sicily. I had to alternate, because the two of them trying to do it together was a recipe for disaster -- no pun intended. In a way, it challenges my a.m. order, in terms of efficiency, but that's what kids are good for, right? To shake up our notions of order and method, and create something new. Often better.


1 comment:

christie said...

Okay, so this is making me rethink my parenting. I'm always very quick to remind P that monsters (and various other scary entities) don't exist. Maybe that's not the best idea.

Hook your friend up with a blog!